Monday, January 25, 2010
MinReady In:1 Hr 5 Min
2 cups uncooked brown rice
4 cups water
4 (15 ounce) cans black beans (or one bag cooked black beans)
2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans
1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 packet taco seasoning
cumin to taste
onion powder to taste
minced garlic to taste
16 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1 pound shredded pepperjack cheese
1.Combine rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool.
2.Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander or strainer, and rinse. Add corn and diced tomatoes with green chilies, and toss to mix. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in rice and cheese. Add taco seasoning, cumin, onion powder and garlic
3.Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, place into a large freezer bag, and freeze. Reheat as needed in the microwave for lunch.
These are good with sour cream or dipped in lite ranch.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic, minced- divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/3 cup nonfat yogurt, plain or low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 gyro bread or pita bread
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
Combine lemon juice, oil, 1/2 t of the garlic, mustard and oregano in a gallon zip top plastic bag.
Add chicken and seal bag.
Turn bag and gently move chicken around to distribute marinade evenly.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
In a small bowl combine cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (NOTE: Cucumbers have a lot of moisture in them so if you want your sauce to be less runny really drain them well and squeeze the water out if you want.).
Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
In a large nonstick skillet saute the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear.
Spoon half the chicken on each pita and top with cucumber mixture and sliced onion.
Lettuce and tomato may be added if you like.
Fold in half and enjoy.
1-can Black Beans rinsed and drained
1-can Kidney beans rinsed and drained
1-4oz can mild diced chiles
2 sweet potatoes
1 clove garlic
1 med. onion
1 red bell pepper
2 chopped carrots
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
saute veggies in olive oil for about 15 min. then add chiles and spices and let cook for another 5 min. add beans and tomatoes and a little water and bring to a boil then let simmer for about 20 min or so.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
1 lbs Shrimp
3 Garlic cloves minced
3 Dried peppers (chile de arbol)
1/3 cup Ketchup
Pepper and salt to taste
5 Tlbs of butter or margarine
take the non peeled shrimp and wash with water. In a hot skillet add the butter or margarine and let it melt, then add the garlic. Cook the garlic until golden and then add the shrimp cook for about 10 minutes.
Turn the heat to low and work on the sauce; over the fire on stove heat the 3 dried peppers. in the boiling water add the peppers and let them get soft.
Make sure you keep stiring the shrimp
On a blender add the peppers, the ketchup, pepper (about 1/4 tsp) and salt.
Mix in with the shrimp for five minutes (boil)
Friday, January 1, 2010
- 4 ounces dried rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Soak rice noodles in warm water to cover in a large bowl until they are limp and white, about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil over high heat in a wok until very hot. Add the garlic and stir-fry until golden, about 10 seconds. Add the egg and cook, stirring, until scrambled, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and stir-fry until they curl and turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the noodles and add to the wok, tossing with tongs until they soften and curl, about 1 minute. Add bean sprouts, scallion greens, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar and chile-garlic sauce; toss until the shrimp are fully cooked and noodles are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve immediately.